Wedderburn Gold Battery

Wedderburn gold batteryLocated on the corner of Wilson Street and the turnoff to Hard Hill Tourist Reserve.

The sign at the front of the battery gives the history. The information, which has been supplied by the Korong Historical Society is on the board at the front of the building.

When this gold battery, known as the “New Hope” was opened in 1905, it was the eighth battery to have been erected in the Wedderburn district. (The first was the Canadian Reef; the second at Hard Hill, later moved to Bocca Flat; the third was at Munster Point; the fourth was on Campbell’s Reef; the fifth was on Specimen Hill; the sixth was the Victory and the seventh was Mr Magnuss’). The battery was opened in the presence of a number of townspeople and officials by Miss Cosh, daughter of one of Wedderburn’s first residents. It had been paid for by the Government and it was hoped that it would lead to a revival of mining in the area. Built by Mr Gillon, an engineer, it was originally worked by a steam engine. The battery itself was of iron construction with a head of five stampers and could be driven at eighty blows per minute. (It was belt driven by a six horsepower portable engine made by Johnson and Son. The boiler had been tested up to 120 pounds hydraulic pressure with a working pressure of eighty pounds.) Charges at the time of opening were:-

Up to 5 tons – Four shillings (4/-) an hour
5 to 10 tons – Three shillings and sixpence (3/6) an hour
10 tons or more – Three shillings and threepence (3/3) an hour
A cleaning charge of five shillings (5/-) a crushing was made.

You will find more information on the sign outside the battery.